Welcome to my nice little cozy place in the world. Come in and stay a while!

Thursday, February 17, 2011

the spotlight is on and Amber's our girl

Amber with her love, Henri
If you have a spotlight on you, it means only one of two things.  Either you are being chased down by the police, or you are a star.  Hopefully it's the later and here at nook and burrow, I prefer to focus on the star. In my life, I find I am surrounded by people who shine, who in one way or another have inspired, influenced, educated, nurtured and/or have impacted me.  My spotlights will feature one amazing person with a bit of Q&A.  I hope you enjoy!

Anyone who knows my Croatian (Zidarevich) side of the family, they will know well that we are crazy proud, protective, love to laugh a lot, cry a lot, live a lot and are at times so full of inspiration and passion that we can hardly contain ourselves.  It's just hereditary. So, in honor of nepotism, it will come to no surprise that my very first "Spotlight" introduction is of my beautiful cousin, Amber (Zidarevich) Kilpatrick. 

Amber's father and my father are brothers and Amber has always felt more like a sister than a cousin.  Amber lives in Grand Rapids with her very handsome husband  Ryan and their crazy cute little boy, Henri.  She is beautiful, smart, spiritual, compassionate, a blogger and as far back as I can remember, she was always wanted to save the world.  When we were little, it was animals, then as a teen, it was people and now as an adult, she is on the very profound journey of the ultimate journey - teaching yoga and meditation.  Amber is saving the world, the world of her family, her friends, her students and certainly that of her baby boy's.   I need a good dose of Amber, so here we go!   


How do you serve the world?  I fill my days serving the world as a mother, wife, yoga instructor, Community Organizer and food blogger.

Who are you?  Just a small town girl living in a big wide world. Trying to live in each moment as it comes and appreciating the beauty all around.


What or who inspires you?  My family.  And anyone who pursues their dreams without apology.

Ryan, Henri and their dog, Hazel


Where is your nook? -  Grand Rapids, Michigan

What is your favorite way to burrow (chill)? - over an hours long dinner and wine with friends

Describe your style. This is tough!  I would say Yoga chic + J Crew + a touch of Jackie O.

List one weird thing about you.  I secretly want a tattoo sleeve

What's on your playlist? Jeff Buckley, Florence and the Machine, One Eskimo, Jimi Hendrix, U2George Michael, Daisy May and Lady Gaga (purely as a guilty pleasure)

What's one of your favorite recipes? -  My favorite recipe has got to be the one I recently blogged about at Big Food Little Mamas

What is your favorite place to vacation? As much as I want to say Chicago or New York I have to resist the urge to be 'doing' on my vacations.  Therefore, Koh Pha Ngan Thailand.  An island in the Gulf Of Thailand.  Nothing to do but enjoy the paradise all around.

What is your favorite object in your home?  My dining table.  A family heirloom from my mother.  It belonged to her mother and her mother's mother before that.  I intend to pass it on to my children.

Where/what will you be in five years?  Another toughie.  I have a tendency not to think too far ahead. This question is a challenge!  Let's say, owner/operator of a yoga and surf shop in Hawaii.  Let the journey begin!



3 comments:

  1. LOVE! So proud to be in the same family as your fabulous ladies now! Purely amazed and inspired by everything Amber does :) Great post Jaimi!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't be more flattered or humbled. Thank you Jaimi. I get a little weepy each time I read it (yes, I've read this multiple times now ;). Love you

    ReplyDelete