Welcome to my nice little cozy place in the world. Come in and stay a while!

Thursday, February 3, 2011

the dean of mod, owls and our nest

We've made a home (finally) here in Ann Arbor, but the man who built our house is Mr. Robert Metcalf.  A distinguished man who lives just round the corner and at 87 years young, is an architect, former Dean of the School of Architecture at the University of Michigan and I believe, a local legend. 

We had the pleasure of having him as a guest at our home last spring.  The picture above was taken of our living room right after it was built in 1969.  It was so wonderful to meet Mr. Metcalf, share our home with him and hear his inspirations, motivations for using certain materials, and best of all, his stories.  Those I'll keep to myself, but I am excited to share with you an article from the Winter 2010/11 issue of Detroit Home featuring his perfectly mid-century modern home, built with the love of his wife, Betty.  I was able to visit his house and am in awe of how fantastic each and every corner is.  Although I would love to have, but could never afford every single thing in his gorgeous house, including the Nakashima, I am totally in love with those cute owls (and the story behind them) on his buffet and think a "copy cat display" here at the Gadaix home is in order!
http://www.detroithomemag.com/Detroit-Home/Winter-2010/The-Dean-of-Mod/ 

No comments:

Post a Comment